British Columbia Ancient Forests News
Posted July 18, 2013
Hike at Avatar Grove - Boardwalk Fundraiser! Sunday, July 21st.
July 18, 2013
Join Darren Copley, Victoria Natural History Society president, and Claudia Copley, Royal BC Museum entomology collections manager, BC spider expert Dr. Robb Bennett, and Ancient Forest Alliance organizers Ken Wu and TJ Watt on Sunday, July 21st for a fantastic forest hike. You'll learn about the plants and wildlife of our old-growth forests, see the progress of the boardwalk so far and find out how you can help support the completion of this important project!
PLEASE carefully read all the info below!
TIME & PLACE: Meet 1:30 pm in Port Renfrew at the Coastal Kitchen Cafe after which time we’ll drive in a convoy to the Avatar Grove. We will hike from 2:30-4:30pm
NOTE - When you arrive, please park alongside the road opposite the cafe so we leave room in the main parking lot for regular customers. Thank you!
COST: SLIDING SCALE - $20 to $100 per individual (children are free)
MAP: Printable Tall Tree Tour map of Port Renfrew: http://bit.ly/ZoLgew
FACEBOOK Event Page (invite friends!): www.facebook.com/events/172497882922128/
Funds from this hike will go towards expanding the boardwalk project in the Avatar Grove! Construction has already begun and the trail improvements are remarkable but more work is still needed many areas! A boardwalk is essential to help protect the forests' ecological integrity and enhance visitor access and safety. For $100 you can sponsor a 1 metre section of the trail.
See pictures of the boardwalk work complete so far: http://on.fb.me/15ABDLy
Donations can be made securely online at: www.ancientforestalliance.org/boardwalk-donation.php
By credit card over the phone at: 250.896.4007
Or in person at the hike!
What can you expect from the trip?
- To see some of the largest and strangest looking trees in BC, including “Canada’s Gnarliest Tree”!
- To learn to identify some of the common rainforest trees and plants.
- To learn about the wildlife
- To meet great new people and have an AWESOME TIME!
THINGS TO KNOW:
* Only those with moderate hiking abilities and who are comfortable on semi-rugged terrain, with a firm sense of balance, can attend this hike.
* All participants will be required to sign a waiver form.
* Participants must bring their own water, rain gear, hiking boots and wonderful attitude!
* Dogs must remain on a leash at all times - they can disturb wildlife including bears, elk, deer, cougars, wolves, raccoons, mink, and Sasquatch in the area.
* Be sure to support the local community by spending your dollars in Port Renfrew and Sooke!
* Be sure to fuel up in Sooke. Gas is only available at the Port Renfrew Marina from 9-5pm.
* This event is a fundraiser for the Ancient Forest Alliance which is in need of funding to build an Avatar Grove boardwalk and to continue its vital campaigns to protect BC’s ancient forests and forestry jobs.
If you can, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know how many of you are coming so we can get a sense of our numbers.
Top | Back
Home | Sign Online Petition | Download Petition | View Signatures | Forest News | Ancient Forest Alliance Site